CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, April 3, 2008

Fifth Post on My Second Book

So the question is... are there any settings in this novel which you have found to be beautiful? or disturbing? or memorable? Describe these settings and comment on why they are meaningful to you.

When I read this book there is one setting that just really disturbs me - Jurgis' first workplace. Upton Sinclair describes this setting just very vividly and I found it very disturbing. The location is a meat package factory and is the "killing beds". This is where they take meat and cut it up into nice bits so they could package it. The details one can see for themselves when they read this book ;P. Unlike the other locations that were mentioned this was the only realistic and impacting setting of the book in my opinion. When I first read that it was a meat packaging factory, what I imagined was basically a clean factory where there are long lines of meat being readied and packaged to be sent out to every corner of the United States. However, the image I got after I read the descriptions of the place was a bit sickening. Sinclair doesn't describe it directly and tends to show what Jurgis sees, but when you think about it just a little harder than what is described you get a image in your head and it isn't pretty. Then after you thought about this setting and think about your lunch and figure if the meat you had eaten was made from a place like that, then one would be running full speed to the bathroom (okay I admit that's a bit of exaggeration but its similar XD).

0 comments: